Office Depot Foundation Announces 2016 Listen Learn Care Awards Recipients (CSR Wire)
From an organization intent on stopping human trafficking to a 14-year-old girl committed to helping sick children, this year’s Office Depot Foundation Listen Learn Care Awards recipients are a diverse group. The awards program recognizes individuals, nonprofit organizations and companies for outstanding creativity, innovation and achievement in serving the community of mankind.
The independent, nonprofit Office Depot Foundation – the primary charitable giving arm of Office Depot, Inc. (NASDAQ: ODP) – will present the awards during its Ninth Annual Weekend in Boca Civil Society Leadership Symposium. Registration for the free Weekend in Boca event will remain open until November 7 at www.officedepotfoundation.org/weekendinboca.
The Listen Learn Care Awards recipients include:
- Dogs on Deployment – This California-based nonprofit was created so that our service members do not have to give up their pets when they are deployed or otherwise unable to care for the animals due to their military service obligations.
- Epilepsy Foundation of Florida – The principal agency for epilepsy programs and services sponsored by the State of Florida is celebrating its 45th anniversary. With an estimated 400,000 Floridians living with this condition, the Epilepsy Foundation’s many services represent a vital lifeline for adults as well as children.
- Michael Stephens – A Miami mentor, community activist, humanitarian, philanthropist and master barber, Stephens is a former convicted felon who now offers “From Prison to Purpose” youth empowerment summits in the South Florida community.
- Phantom Rescue – Based in Hollywood, Florida, this nonprofit organization draws on a network of a wide variety of retired and other former military professionals to combat the problem of human trafficking by locating, rescuing and returning children to their homes and families.
- Women’s Foundation of Palm Beach County – Established in 2007, the organization strives to encourage leadership and enhance economic, political and social status for women in Palm Beach County by investing in programs and organizations that empower women and girls.
- Kayla Abramowitz (Youth Award) – The founder of Kayla Cares 4 Kids, the North Palm Beach student has donated more than 12,000 DVDs, video game consoles, video games, DVD players, handheld electronics, books and arts & crafts to children’s hospitals in all 50 states. (This award is sponsored and presented by The Father and Son Foundation.)
“Every year our Listen Learn Care Awards honorees continue to amaze us with their commitment to making a difference,” notes Office Depot Foundation President Mary Wong. “We are happy to recognize these individuals and organizations for their tireless efforts to serve children, families and communities in Florida and across the country.”
Comcast is the presenting sponsor of Weekend in Boca, while the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Corporate Citizenship Center is the sponsor of the Listen Learn Care Awards Luncheon. The Wyndham Boca Raton is the gift bag sponsor, JKG Group is the breakfast sponsor, the Greater Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce is the program book sponsor and Daszkal Bolton is a session sponsor. The Merrill G. and Emita E. Hastings Foundation is sponsoring the networking reception while CSRwire and WBTV are the media sponsors.
About the Office Depot Foundation
The Office Depot Foundation is an independent foundation − tax exempt under IRC Sec. 501(c)(3) − that serves as the independent charitable giving arm of Office Depot, Inc. In keeping with its mission, Listen Learn Care®, the Foundation supports a variety of programs that give children tools to succeed in school and in life; build the capacity of nonprofit organizations through collaboration and innovation; and help communities prepare for disasters, as well as recovering and rebuilding afterwards. For more information, visit www.officedepotfoundation.org.